Restaurant Insurance Montgomery County MD – 5 Tips For Curbing Theft at Restaurants
Foresight Insurance is an independent “local” insurance agency that would give you an independent advantage for all your insurance needs.
With an independent insurance agent, you have choices. Independent agents are not tied to any one insurance company. One of the advantages of using an independent agent is that he or she works to satisfy your needs. You are using an expert for an important financial decision and most important, your agent is local and ready to take action to help yoru immediate needs, especially when you need them most…at the time of your claim.
On this post, we like to talk to you about Restaurant Insurance Montgomery County MD – 5 Tips For Curbing Theft at Restaurants
While we’d like to think that our employees are honest, that’s just not always the case. Some employees will pilfer food, alcohol or other items from restaurants while others will go for cold hard cash.
In one extreme case of employee theft, federal authorities said, “Pancake houses were turned into crime dens.” Federal authorities indicted 18 people in Ohio last year in a series of criminal charges, including money laundering, insurance fraud and identity theft, which led to a national restaurant chain losing about $3 million.
While that number is remarkably high, employee theft in restaurants is a broad problem that can drain already lean budgets. Analysts estimate employee theft losses at one percent of revenue, which may seem low, but restaurant profit margins are typically only two to five percent.
According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), small businesses are particularly vulnerable to fraud because they may lack the resources and internal controls for financial matters. The ACFE reports that the five most common fraud schemes for organizations with fewer than 100 employees are:
- Billing fraud
- Check tampering
- Expense reimbursement fraud
So how do you keep your employees honest and your bottom line healthy? Here are five tips to help you get started:
- Keep a close eye on food and beverage costs: Have your food and pour costs increased while your sales have remained the same? Good record keeping can help you determine when your purchases and sales don’t add up—and may indicate a deeper problem.
- Watch the till: If you’re noticing that your cash register is consistently over and/or under, it may be a sign that someone is skimming from the register or purposefully not ringing items and taking the wrong amount from the till.
- Listen: Often, your employees and customers will see things that you can’t. If you start to hear rumblings around the restaurant, there’s no need to go on a witch-hunt, but it may be time to take extra precautions to protect yourself.
- Trust your gut: If someone or something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Take some time to talk to employees who are acting strange or suspicious to make sure everything’s all right. You may be surprised at what you find.
- Know your team. It’s easier for an employee to steal from someone they don’t know. Take a personal interest in your employees and talk openly about theft and its consequences.
With luck, your employees do the right thing. But just in case they don’t, an Ultrapack Plus℠ policy from Erie Insurance covers you for up to $10,000 in employee dishonesty. It provides protection against the dishonest acts of your employees and covers loss of your money, merchandise and any other real or personal property.
Erie Insurance is committed to selling insurance through local independent Agents and providing insurance solutions for small businesses. Learn more at erieinsurance.com.
As an independent insurance agent since 2008, Michael Cruz has been providing personal services for the local community in English and Spanish. He understands the importance of customer service and the comprehensive advice that they need to help them make the right decisions.
Michael believes on long-term relationships by educating his customer while protecting all their assets.
Give Michael a call today at 301–985–2667
Foresight Insurance Provides Auto/Car Insurance, Home Insurance, and Business/Commercial Insurance to All of Maryland, Including Rockville, Bethesda, and Gaithersburg.